Thursday, October 23

Jesse: Orientation

The morning is so quiet and peaceful. The Baptist Seminary of Zambia is a beautiful compound. It makes for a very peaceful place to rest and learn.

The more I’m around Zambians the more it is apparent that their culture is very similar to their West African brothers. Today’s lesson was mainly about greeting. Respect is very important.

Show respect in every situation and watch the doors open and the walls come down. As a woman, respect means never looking a man in the eyes and always letting them be first. Over the years I’ve gotten used to that. I caught myself in the states not looking at men, who’d been my friends for years, in they eyes and walking a few steps behind them.

I’m looking forward to getting out into the city tomorrow. We’re supposed to observe the culture around us--not really make conversation or try to build relationships. Just observe. See under and around what people are saying and doing. Tessa is my partner for the next 11 days. We’ll do every cultural outing together. I’m also excited to meet our cultural helper tomorrow too. Kevin, the leader, says she is tough and will watch out for us.

I walked two miles around the seminary after our last session and then played soccer with the guys. I think I surprised myself and all the others at my willingness to go for the ball and be able to somewhat handle it when I got it and all this in a skirt and sandals. But the African boys that played with us did it barefoot – I have no room to brag. Later, a healthy game of “Bible Outburst” was played with great enthusiasm. Very fitting game for a bunch of missionaries!


The seminary campus is beautiful. The road is lined with flame trees in full bloom.


My roommate, Mary, reads her Bible in our dorm room on the seminary campus.


Bible Outburst with Mary, Roxie, Jodie, Grant and Evan.

No comments:

Post a Comment