Friday, November 14

Jesse: Homestay, day 1

I’m sitting outside of Wallace Phiri’s tailor shop. I’m watching my “partner” for this weekend, Deb, sing with the neighborhood children. They sun is about to set and it has cooled down. Mr. Phiri is behind me making me an outfit to wear this weekend. The three of us walked about ten minutes into town to get a Fanta and buy material. I’m sure we met every relative Mr. Phiri has in Petauke. Five hours later he has finished my shirt. Now he is working on Deb’s skirt. I think she asked for one thing but I’m not sure of what she is going to get. Now Deb is telling stories to all the children.

Earlier Jeff and Blake came to visit. They are staying with a family just around the corner from us. They were headed to the market to buy a gift. We are all going to a wedding tomorrow and the gift is for the bride and groom. The sun should set soon and then it will be bedtime. I’m tired and am looking forward to sleep.

I almost forgot the most important thing that happened at the market today. Deb and I went to buy zippers for our outfits and the woman we bought them from gave us new names. Deb is now called Mwanida and I am called Mbonyiwa.

We’re to sleep in the pastor and his wife’s room. They gave us their nice double bed and we’ve hung a mosquito net that we’ll leave with the family as a gift. Kevin said we’re to call this our “happy place,” it is where no bugs can get to us.


We all packed up this morning and headed out to our homestays.


Wallace Phiri, a tailor by trade, is our African host for the weekend. He is what we call a "tentmaker," because being a tailor allows him to also be a pastor of a small church he started at the edge of town.


Deb helps the children pump water from the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment